Saturday, March 19, 2011

My Favorite Video Game Music, #32: Forest Temple

#32: Forest Temple
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time



First off, I'll say up front that this is the only one of the five temple themes in Ocarina of Time to make the list. All of them have their arguments--the Spirit Temple was the last cut, and my music expert friend Seifer swears by Fire Temple, which I didn't care for much. Forest Temple is the one that does the most for me.

It has no impressive melody, or harmony, or beat, and it doesn't want to make you dance, sing, fistpump, or kick somebody in the face, like a lot of good music does. But as atmosphere music it is tremendous. All of Ocarina of Time's music is like that--the soundtrack is full of tunes that don't stand alone very well, but are very, very good at setting the mood. The Forest Temple is strange, foreboding, and treacherous. So is this music.

No comments:

Post a Comment