Saturday, February 19, 2011

My Favorite Video Game Music, #46: Gold Saucer

#46: Gold Saucer
Final Fantasy VII



If you've ever played Final Fantasy VII all the way through at least once, I can pretty near guarantee you don't need to click the Youtube link to hear this song. Even if you haven't touched the game in ten years, this ridiculously, relentlessly upbeat music started up in your brain the instant the words "Gold Saucer" appeared on your screen. You can't help it. Not even if you've tried electroshock therapy.

For the uninitiate, this is because a Final Fantasy VII player spends a LOT of time at the Gold Saucer. And by "a lot," I mean "about how long it takes to complete a four-credit college course." There are several very nifty items to be obtained there, but usually only after you've poured many hours into shooting basketballs, killing d00dz, running in and out of the front entrance over and over (don't ask,) etc. And all the while (except when you're killing d00dz, but that doesn't take as long,) you will be listening to this music.

And yet I don't hate it. In fact, I kind of like it. And even my girl, who hates nearly all of the video game music I listen to all the time, said, "hey, I don't mind that one." So they had to have done something right there.

And if you were one of many who played Final Fantasy VII far more than any other video game ever, that probably means you spent more time listening to this particular piece than any other. It would be a close race between this and the game's generic battle music.

No comments:

Post a Comment